- They’re experienced. A report by Indeed found that 85% of employers agreed with this statement: “Highly skilled workers” are more likely to keep an eye out for new employment opportunities.
- You know the competition. They’re less likely to be interviewing with other companies – and that means you’ve got more of a shot to land them. You are competing with a defined salary and benefits plan.
- You’re more likely to get the ‘real deal’ during the hiring process. Since they’re already in a position, initial conversations are likely to be authentic conversations about their skills, talents and goals.
Finding Passive Candidates – Check Your References
Okay, but how do you find passive candidates?
There are several good sources of passive talent, including social media. According to Jobcast, 14.4 million job seekers have used social networks to find a job, and 73% of companies have successfully hired a candidate using social media. Another is referrals. According to LinkedIn’s Global Recruiting Trends 2016 report, 32% of HR professionals said employee referrals were their most important source of quality hires within the past 12 months.
But there’s a great source of potential passive candidate finds already at your fingertips: your candidates’ references. Here’s the good news:
- You can easily access contact info. References’ contact information is always provided! No digging required to start building your database.
- Good people know good people. Typically, once you’re at the stage that you’re checking references, your candidate is fairly well vetted and their references are their managers and peers.
- They’re likely to be in the same industry, or your desired job role. That’s a bonus for those hard to fill positions.
- You typically get two or more for one. Because you usually get contact information for 3-5 references for each job candidate, it’s an exponentially growing passive candidate source.
Technology Makes Reference Checking Easy While Delivering a Great Brand Experience
Online reference-checking technology can help you several ways. First, the technology itself is efficient and personal —references respond to email invitations from the job candidate themselves. On average, surveys are completed by a minimum of 4 references in less than 2 days.
As part of the process, you can set your solution up to automatically invite references to join your talent pool, and it has tools to help you keep track of and communicate with your candidate pool – such as setting up specific talent pipelines based on key job criteria and creating alerts when a match for talent takes place. You can also use the reference checking process to ask for referrals.
To find out more about how SkillSurvey Source works with Pre-Hire 360, check out our new video, or learn how to find and connect with talented, passive job candidates check out our Passive Candidate Engagement Playbook.