Like every other part of the hiring process, reference checks must be in compliance with anti-discrimination laws. But if they are being done by hiring managers and others within your organization, it can be difficult to ensure structured and fair practices are put into place for all candidates and that references are asked appropriate, job relevant questions.
Online reference checking solutions can help add structure and compliance to your process by ensuring standard processes across all job applicants. However, you’ll want to evaluate solutions for the following:
- Are all references always given the same questionnaire for candidates?
- Are the questions asked of references relevant for the specific position?
- Are there various surveys available to meet all of your job needs?
- Is all data and documentation properly stored and accessible?
- Can the vendor provide statistical evidence of EEOC compliance?
Read more ways that you can ensure your reference checking is in compliance with EEOC statutes in the HR Dive column by SkillSurvey CEO Ray Bixler.